Did you know that CANSA spends around R7 million each year on research to help our country in the battle against this complex life-threatening disease; and that all this research supports their Watchdog role and underpins all their health programs? 100% donor funded this research continually supports the realignment of their “advocacy focus” and strengthens CANSA’s “education and service delivery programs to enhance public benefit”.
This is just one of the multiple areas that CANSA supports South Africans. And just one of the reasons that Fit4Good is supporting CANSA in our inaugural events this May as we cycle and run for someone else’s health!
Sign up your team now to raise funds for CANSA and make a difference in someone’s life this May in Cape Town and Johannesburg at selected Planet Fitness gyms.
Fit4Good #1: Saturday, 4th May 2019 | Planet Fitness Plattekloof, Cape Town
Fit4Good #2: Saturday, 11th May 2019 | Planet Fitness Wanderers, Johannesburg
CANSA is “one of the very few public funded organisations in South Africa that has sustainable funding for research. The funds are currently used across five research programmes, categorised Type A, B, C, D and E.
- Type A projects : Aimed at MBChB and PhD cancer researchers based at South African universities and research organisations.
- Type B projects : Research conceptualised and conducted by CANSA, sometimes in collaboration with other institutions. Projects are focused on reducing public exposure to cancer risks.
- Type C projects : Research conceptualised and conducted by CANSA, sometimes in collaboration with other institutions. Projects relate to optimising services to cancer patients and addressing their needs.
- Type D projects : Projects funded by CANSA and usually take the form of a partnership between us and one or more research institution with the objective of combining resources to achieve a common goal. Such projects have budgets in the region of R1 million.”
- Type E projects : Projects are aimed at building the capacity of South African cancer researchers through funding or co-funding of symposia and congresses on cancer research as well as travel grants of researchers presenting at research conferences or attending training locally and internationally.
CANSA’s research team, made up of scientists, doctors, nurses, student and epidemiologists, is “committed to saving lives and to fighting cancer through research.” Research that covers the study of cancer biology, its treatment and the effects of treatment. The team collects and analyses information on every aspect, with the final aim to of this research being to “produce effective treatment and to prevent cancer”.
Support CANSA’s research by signing up a team to either cycle or run at a participating Planet Fitness Gym via our easy online registration and payment process.